The Lakeview area is Mississauga’s waterfront treasure along the eastern shore of our great City. For years, the Lakeview area waterfront has been off limits due to OPG’s power generating station. Following Provincial Government policy to phase out coal fired generating stations by the end of 2007, the station closed down on April 30, 2005, after 43 years of service. With the demolition of the "Four Sisters" the community has embraced the notion of a remarkable and sustainable, mixed-use development at the Lakeview waterfront. This Vision was presented to the Planning and Development Committee on April 18, 2011.
With more than 1000 people sharing their ideas through ongoing discussion and public Visioning Sessions, the community is very excited about the future opportunities this site presents. The City’s next steps will be the master planning process which includes undertaking additional technical and background studies, such as the environmental review. The City is also working on the feasibility of gaining public access to the western pier.
Please check out the work that has been done to develop a vision for this area and stay updated on upcoming events by visiting the project website: http://www.mississauga.ca/lakeview