The entire project (both northand south sections) will be divided into several contracts and construction will be done with tunnelling and open cutting (excavating a trench) methods.
Contracts and Tentative Schedules:
1. Hanlan Feedermain:
a. Contract 1: Tunnelled (spring 2013 to spring 2016)
- Lakeshore Road between Dixie Rd and Lakefront Promenade
- Dixie Road between Lakeshore Road East and Golden Orchard Drive
b. Contract 2: Open cut (spring 2013 – spring 2016)
- Dixie Road (between Golden Orchard Drive and Eastgate Parkway)
2. Local Distribution main replacement (water and sanitary sewers) - open cut
a. Contract Z1: Spring 2013 to fall 2014
- Lakeshore Road between Westmount Avenue and Little Etobicoke Creek
b. Contract Z2: Spring 2013 to fall 2014
-Dixie Road between Lakeshore Road East to just north of Rometown
- Drive (including Larchview Drive works, east-west leg only)
c. Contract Z3: Summer 2013 to summer 2015
- Dixie Road between Sherway Drive and Blundell Road (including Tonolli Rd, east-west leg only)
d. Contract Z4: Spring 2013 to spring 2016
- Dixie Road between Golden Orchard Drive to north of Bloor Street (including Golden Orchard Drive between Grassfire Crescent and the east side of Dixie Road)
- Bloor Street between Golden Orchard Drive and Havenwood Drive
The detailed schedules for each contract have not yet been fully developed and will not be available until after each contract has been awarded. At the moment, we have only the general tentative schedule outlined above. Our goal is to complete the projects efficiently between 2013 and 2016.
TrafficWe are developing a comprehensive and effective traffic control plan to reduce traffic congestion related to the project. The traffic control plan will use a staged construction approach: lanes will be closed in 100- to 200-metre sections of the working area, and not the full length of the contract.
Contract 1 of the Hanlan FM will be tunnelled, with the tunnel on average 10 to 20 metres below grade. Some tunnelling construction will require work in fixed locations at the surface for longer durations.
As part of the traffic control plan, we will post signs advising commuters of the construction and restrictions. We will also be advertising construction information and updated traffic restrictions on our website at www.hanlanwaterproject.ca, on Twitter @hanlanwp and on our Drivers’
Hotline at 1-855-hanlan1 (1-855-426-5261).
The LD mains being replaced will range between 150 – 600mm in diameter. The rate of construction will be relatively quick compared to the Hanlan FM because the majority of these smaller pipes will be installed by open cut in trenches 2.5 – 5.0 metres deep.
Haul route and destination for the excavated materialDue to the nature and the location of the construction, Dixie Road has been mandated as the haul route for the excavated material. As indicated above, every effort will be made to ensure the traffic flow and safety of the community is maintained along Dixie Road. The ultimate destination of the excavated material has not been determined; however, the current plan is to stockpile it until a decision has been made on the lake infill project.
Information, communication and updates
You can find additional details about the project at www.hanlanwaterproject.ca . The website is updated as soon as new information is available.